As you get older you may wonder about the size or shape of your penis. Here are some facts:
- Penises are more or less the same size within a range.
- 90% of all penises are between 13 cm and 18 cm.
- Most non-erect penises are between 8 cm - 10 cm.
- An average size of erection is 15 cm.
- When aroused, a small non-erect penis grows proportionately more than a larger, non-erect penis.
- A larger and longer non erect penis merely swells and elongates slightly when aroused.
- Overweight men have extra fatty tissue on their pubic area, making their penis look smaller from top down.
- Penises can bend in different directions. Some bend downwards even when erect.
- Stand sideways next to a mirror when looking at your penis as this gives a truer reflection of your size than when you’re looking from above.
- When doing a self-examination, make sure the room is warm so there will be better blood flow to your genitals.
- If you are cold or stressed there is less blood flow to your penis so it will look smaller.
You cannot change the size of your penis, but you can take care of it by keeping it clean and disease free. When you are old enough to have sex, always use a condom.
(adapted from Dr Eve’s Sex Book: A Guide for Young People)